According to Tinder’s blog, the company has set up a petition on the ever-popular website www.change.org in hopes of garnering enough support to create emojis for interracial relationships. The main push behind Tinder and Reddit’s Alexis Ohanian partnership is to showcase that everyone still isn’t included and it’s about time that they were.
Why is This Important?
Unfortunately, for as long as emojis have been around in our digital universe, there have been individuals left out. From whitewashed graphic icons to hetero-normative choices, to a lack of redheads or female doctors, there have been a lot of changes made over the years to emojis. However, despite there being versions for same-sex couples, single-parent families, and gender-neutral people, there is still no emojis for those who are in interracial relationships.
The reason why this is important is that a recent study done by Jose Ortega and Philipp Hergovich, suggests that dating applications like Tinder are actually the reason why there has been an increase in interracial marriages and relationships. Plus, if interracial couples are being left out of the standardized Unicode Consortium, it’s classifying them as “other” which is unacceptable. With this said, Tinder is fast becoming the place to find an interracial relationship and here is why.
Why Is Tinder The Place to Find an Interracial Relationship?
According to Tinder’s Global Tinder Survey on Interracial Relationships, their users who were surveyed stated that:
- Tinder is the most “racially diverse dating app” says seventy-two percent of survey respondents.
- Seventy-seven percent of Tinder users note that they are open-minded when it comes to dating those of another racial background.
- Sixty-one percent surveyed who are in an interracial relationship have used Tinder.
- Almost twenty percent of Tinder users are actually more likely to have dated outside their race than any other dating application on the market.
- Finally, only thirty-seven percent of Tinder users stated that ethnicity is a critical factor for dating.
So, not only does Tinder’s community think that Tinder is a great platform for finding an interracial relationship, but that it is the application to use with regards to diversity, and open-minded dating. It is no wonder that Tinder is petitioning for interracial relationship emojis because their community clearly has showcased that racially diverse dating is normal and welcomed.